Monday, February 22, 2010

The Natives really did bring me a sister

I bought myself a poetry book at the mall yesterday, as part of my quest to actually know what I'm talking about instead of just acting before thinking like I always do. As I was sitting in the play area, ready to delve into Harold Bloom, a young Native from Belcourt approached me.

Figured the ancestors sent her straight to me, loving teen moms like I coincidentally do. Her request was one I'd hope never to hear from an eighteen-year-old, 3 months pregnant and terrified for her future, girl.

I recognized the invisible tears immediately, as she wiped her cheeks and under her eyes as if she was actually crying. Inside, she felt ashamed to even be asking for a ride to the town mission, but the last bus had left and I'd likely judge her less severely.

"I'll just sit here and wait until you're ready," she offered. Had the spirits convinced me to take the Expedition instead of my '87 Honda, I'd gladly have drove her. Or, is it driven...you see, this is where I always get confused, and off-topic.

The English language, for those bothering to learn it...very specific and annoying, I'll have you know. Anyway, she sat down as I sympathized with her position, having been exactly there once in my own life before. Only, I'd been 23, so slightly older.

She'd just arrived in town, had no friends or family, and of course was penniless and scared. I quickly grabbed a twenty out of my purse, and gave her all of my Urban Stampede giftcards. It's where I worked as a barista during college, a safe place to find brand new bearings.

I told her not to feel ashamed in the least, that at eighteen she's a woman, though of course she looks 22, not the fifteen years old she felt like. Pregnancies, especially the unexpected ones, are always new beginnings. They are gifts to bring our lives meaning.

Look, I said. I was exactly where you were once, embarrassed and scared. But, these opportunities are GIFTS, to help us correct our paths, they give us direction. Just keep moving forward, that's all you can do, keep on walking.

She asked me for my number, which is why she's now my sister. I'm going to watch over her, like a sister would. She's due in August, and God bless her. Your ancestors will never abandon you, I promised, they'll bring you your good.

No comments: