I never actually homeschooled my children, I think you should know that now. Sure, I kept them home and enjoyed every minute spent trying to homeschool...really, I was just enjoying a life surrounded by happy children.
I figured at the time, it could work, but for all my curriculum searching and deconstruction of illusory power structures...in the end I had to admit that society simply isn't set up to support homeschooling. Well, unless you're a certified teacher, as some states prefer.
I used to resent that qualification added onto the simple act of raising children to be free, and believed with my whole heart that "natural learning" would inevitably lead to an education that covered every base, through interest and passion alone.
Boy, did TV get in the way of THAT divine plan. It gets all the blame, being unnecessarily shiny in contrast to books, plus, too attractive. And vain, egotistical, and nothing without endless drama. TV, I've found is completely irritating for no reason at all.
At least, none that I can understand.
I could never teach, I now know that about myself. Not enough dedication to morning through afternoon ritual, and not enough potential for actual change in the field as it exists now. Plus, I'd have to discriminate against homeschoolers as if remaining in a cult depended on it.
And I'm too busy. Just about to merge back into alpha mom, totally done being beta.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment